I get this question A lot on youtube so though this is semi old news here is the Working dvd player in its beta stages for wii! thanks to
|MPlayer – dvdlib edition|
|Full Homebrew Channel Support|
|Downloadable via the Homebrew Browser|
This is a native MPlayer Wii port. The main focus has been DVD-Video playback on modified and unmodified consoles. Although you can open and view various media files from SD card, this is largely untested. At this time it can not read files off data DVDs, just DVD-Video discs.
This application requires a valid and working DVDX stub install, please refer to its README for setup instructions. A DVD-Video disc, either pressed or with the DVD-ROM booktype, might also come in handy.
Just copy the “mplayer” folder into the “/apps” directory on your sd card and launch it via the HBC. Do not rename the folder.
When launching this application you will be presented by a basic on screen menu. Though all options should be self-explanatory, here are some hints:
- High bitrate video streams may lead to dropped frames. This really depends on the used DVD-Video. Some fullscreen movies seem to have the same issue.
- Hiding the menu and disabling subtitles improves the performace a little.
- Playing DVDs with libdvdnav is buggy and decreases performace (read: way more dropped frames)
- Choosing a DTS audio track results in noise and breaks things.
- Choosing non-playable files from SD makes it crash & burn.
You can use a wiimote or a gamecube pad to interact:
|Toggle on screen menu|
|Seek 10s forward|
|Seek 10s backward|
|Seek 60s forward|
|Seek 60s backward|
|Modifier key for libdvdnav*|
This port was made possible by the following people:
- DVDX stub
- libdvdcss port
- mplayer port
- 12 stage TEV YUV12 GX voodoo
- menu loop animation
How to Build
3 subversion repositories are required to build this port, the revisions used for this binary are:
- libdvdread r1120
- libdvdnav r1120
- mplayer r27458
- get the repositories via:
svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk/libdvdread libdvdread-trunk svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/dvdnav/trunk/libdvdnav libdvdnav-trunk svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer-trunk
- apply the patches
- edit libdvdread’s and libdvdnav’s config.mak and adjust
- build libdvdread with `
make`, then `
- build libdvdnav with `
make`, then `
- build mplayer with `
make`, test your build using `